TEACH Training and Support
The TEACH program includes intensive training prior to and during the school year including pre-arrival correspondence, intensive initial training, on-site observations, and follow up training and support.
Volunteers will be provided with intensive two week initial training including:
- service learning
- cross-cultural awareness and cultural sharing
- use of media in the classroom and in after school programming to bring global issues closer to students’ reality
- thematic and cross curriculum lesson planning focusing on developing leadership and civic participation
- cooperative teaching / working with a local counterpart
- introduction to local curriculum
Periodic classroom observations by the training team providing additional support and resources.
Two additional trainings for volunteers and local counterparts will focus on:
- classroom management and challenges in the classroom
- identifying additional resources
- service learning project identification
- feedback and results from onsite observations
Through AVC’s partnership with Birthright Armenia, volunteers will also be provided with Eastern Armenian Language classes throughout their service term.